Attorney at Law, Paris Bar
- Legal expertise: Intellectual Property (Domain name and trademark Law, Copyright, Design and Model Law, geographical indications protection…), unfair competition, information technology Law (fight against counterfeiting) and Digital Law
- Countries: France, Europe, international
- Languages: French, English, German
She collaborates with the Law firm Marcuria, which is specialised in Intellectual Property
Marie-Emmanuelle’s extensive knowledge enables her to have a 360 vision of the situation whether that is providing advice, pre-litigation or litigation in the projects that she works with, she has a proven track record of expertise that has been acquired through different complementary activities and the following fields:
Practice dedicated to the Internet and to Intellectual property
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS launched her own firm in 2014.
She has worked as a lawyer both advising and implementing IP law protection strategies as well as managing pre-litigation and litigation in firms specialising in Intellectual property/NTIC:
- ALAIN BENSOUSSAN Lawyers (1994 to 2007), director of the trademarks and domain names department
- CASALONGA LAWYERS (May 2007 to 2013)
Marie Emmanuelle HAAS has a proven track record of working internationally and especially in Germany
- Member of the board of EUrid (registry of the .eu country code top-level domains), elected in May 2018.
- Arbitrator for Intellectual Property disputes at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (HKIAC), as of September 2016
- Independent member of EURid Strategic Committee, elected in June 2016 (registry of the .eu country code top-level domains)
- Chair of the ECTA’s Internet committee European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA) from February 2013 until June 2016.
Among our achievements:
ECTA submitted comments to ICANN on its Preliminary Issue Report on a Policy Development process to review all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all generic Top-Level domains (com, net, org… and all new TLDs).
- Member of the IPC (Intellectual Property Constituency) of ICANN’s Generic Names Supporting Organizations, representing ECTA, from February 2013 until June 2016
- Articles featured in GRUR INT of the Max Planck Institute (MPl)
- Collaboration with two German lawyer firms: Storp & Bachmann in Munich (1990/1991) translating contracts, company law, and consultations and then At Wenner, a Franco-German firm (1991-1992) advice and litigation for the German
- One year’s research with a grant working at the Max Planck institute (MPI) in Munich (1989/1990) researching on the burden of proof in software litigation in French Law, with a published article in Grur Int, member of the Alumni association
Panellist for domain name disputes
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS is a panellist for domain name disputes before the following resolution service providers:
- Arbitration and Mediation Centre of the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation)
- Czech Arbitration Court
- ADNDRC (Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre)
- NAF (National Arbitration Forum)
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS renders, on average, one decision a month.
Active participation in professional associations and working groups
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS is an active participant in numerous professional associations and working groups both nationally and internationally.
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS has been a lecturer at the University of Paris I – Panthéon Sorbonne since 2004/2005 where she teaches “Internet litigation” in Digital Law at Master’s level.
Since 2015/2016, Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS intervenes at the University of Lorraine on the subjects « Brands and domain names » and « Social networks » in Intellectual Property.
Articles, conferences and training
Marie-Emmanuelle HAAS has been writing from 1996 numerous articles that have both been published and featured on line.
- In reference publications (Le Journal du net, RF group)
- In Law reviews (Propriété industrielle edited by Lexis Nexis, Propriété intellectuelle edited by IRPI…), and since 2009 she has written an annual review on French Law and domain names as well as monthly columns in the Law review Propriété Industrielle since 2007
- In Professional reviews (L’Usine nouvelle…)
- In foreign reviews (Grur Int published by the Max Planck Institute)
- Admitted to the Paris Bar (1989)
- DEA in private business Law (University of Paris (1984)
- Maîtrise (Masters) in business Law (University of Paris II -1982)
- Prize winner of the German language speech prize by the prestigious Conference des Batonniers (1991)
- Licence (BA) in Modern Languages, English and German, University of Paris IV Sorbonne (1979)
- Diploma from the Franco-German Chamber of Commerce (1978)